Monday, March 29, 2010

Moving On Up!

After 12 long weeks Jacob finally got moved to the Infant Care Center!!! This is a step down unit that prepares kids to go home!! Home what a lovely notion. His Doctor decided on Friday that Jacob was well enough to be moved to ICC and we were moved at 8pm that night. As always Jacob slept through the big moment. Mike wasn't feeling well so stayed home so it was left to me to record the moment. I'm sure everyone thought I was crazy but I was so excited. After weeks of seeing baby after baby transferred to ICC or go home from the NICU it was finally our turn!! Dr. Brasel did call ICC and warn them about how dramatic Jacob can be and told them not to rush to bag him just because he was desatting. I was a little nervous on Saturday because if he did have a bad spell ICC could tell NICU to take him back!! He did have a few spells but nothing terrible. He seems to only spell now when we are trying to bottle feed him. Sometimes he's a champ and will take the bottle down in 15 minutes without any problems, sometimes he'll take half the bottle and then refuses to burp and is done for that feeding and yesterday I swear I brought the bottle to his mouth and he decided to have a spell. But I do think he was trying to poop and eat at the same time, my poor baby can't multi task.

Although I am ecstatic that we've been moved to ICC I do miss the NICU. The nurses were so caring there and knew Jacob. Sue and Alana his two primaries really seemed to love him and took such good care of him. The doctors knew him well too. The vibe at ICC is different to me. It's only been 3 days so I shouldn't rush to make a judgement yet but I feel that since they are the unit that prepares babies to go home they don't get as attached because they don't have the babies for as long. I was also sad that when we got transferred neither Sue or Alana were there to share in the moment with us. We didn't get a chance to say bye to them and they didn't get a chance to say goodbye to Jacob. Hopefully they will stop over to say hi to us.

My mom went into grandma mode yesterday. Jacob started to cry during his cares and grandma was there to pick him up and hold him. Then she didn't want to put him down and against my better judgement I let her try to bottle him. He lasted about 10 seconds and had a spell. Thank god it wasn't as bad as the one he had when Mike's mom tried to feed him, but now this grandma says she'll wait until he gets bigger before she tries to feed him again.

No comments:

Post a Comment