Lots to report this last week. Jacob is now 39 weeks old, 7 and 1/2 pounds and 48 centimeters long. Jacob has really been trying to prove to us that he's ready to go home. He did have one spell where they had to bag him on Wednesday and a spell on Thursday that they had to record due to some color changes but since then I am happy to report that my baby has gone 3 days without a spell!! That's the longest length of time ever for him. He does have a tendency to lull you into thinking everything is okay and then have another bad spell but so far so good.
Jacob is no longer on oxygen! The doctors removed the oxygen canola on Friday night, Mike and I didn't even recognize our little boy. We have never seen him without some type of assisted breathing device. It was just amazing we just kept staring at him in disbelief. To be honest he probably could have been taken off the oxygen sooner but they kept it on as a precaution. Even without the oxygen Jacob as sating in the high 90s. Then on Sunday Jacob's feeding tube was taken off!! Now we could see his entire face. He is beautiful and really does look like Mike. Jacob has been able to take all of his feedings by bottle the last couple of days and the doctors wanted to put him on an at liberty schedule like any other full term baby. Let him eat when he wants to and see how much he can eat. Well my little guy wants to eat every two hours (he was on a three hour schedule) and at least 60 mls at a time (he was taking 55 mls). This makes me wonder if he was starving for an hour and we just didn't know it. The last two things keeping us in the hospital were his spells and getting him to bottle so we really could be taking him very soon.
We also took CPR training on Friday. Good lord I wasn't scared until I took the class. Knowing that I might actually have to give my son CPR scares the crap out of me. They also showed us what to do in case babies choke, wow that is really intensive I had no idea. My mom and Mike's mom took the class with us, along with Tourah. I was keeping an eye on the moms during the entire class. My mom wasn't pushing down hard enough because she was afraid pushing down hard would hurt the baby. I told her I'd rather my baby breath then her worrying about hurting him. Mike's mom kept putting her fingers in the wrong position. I'm thinking I'm going to wait a while before having the grandmas take care of Jacob.
Jacob is no longer on oxygen! The doctors removed the oxygen canola on Friday night, Mike and I didn't even recognize our little boy. We have never seen him without some type of assisted breathing device. It was just amazing we just kept staring at him in disbelief. To be honest he probably could have been taken off the oxygen sooner but they kept it on as a precaution. Even without the oxygen Jacob as sating in the high 90s. Then on Sunday Jacob's feeding tube was taken off!! Now we could see his entire face. He is beautiful and really does look like Mike. Jacob has been able to take all of his feedings by bottle the last couple of days and the doctors wanted to put him on an at liberty schedule like any other full term baby. Let him eat when he wants to and see how much he can eat. Well my little guy wants to eat every two hours (he was on a three hour schedule) and at least 60 mls at a time (he was taking 55 mls). This makes me wonder if he was starving for an hour and we just didn't know it. The last two things keeping us in the hospital were his spells and getting him to bottle so we really could be taking him very soon.
We also took CPR training on Friday. Good lord I wasn't scared until I took the class. Knowing that I might actually have to give my son CPR scares the crap out of me. They also showed us what to do in case babies choke, wow that is really intensive I had no idea. My mom and Mike's mom took the class with us, along with Tourah. I was keeping an eye on the moms during the entire class. My mom wasn't pushing down hard enough because she was afraid pushing down hard would hurt the baby. I told her I'd rather my baby breath then her worrying about hurting him. Mike's mom kept putting her fingers in the wrong position. I'm thinking I'm going to wait a while before having the grandmas take care of Jacob.

No comments:
Post a Comment