Monday, April 12, 2010

April 10 Came and Went

Jacob's original due date was April 10. I knew it was going to be an emotional day because I knew that we weren't going to be able to take him home on his due date because he was having spells again, but April 10 was an especially hard day. After being off oxygen for a week, Jacob had two spells on Saturday where he turned blue and the nurses had to give him air. The doctor decided that he needed to go back on oxygen. So I got to see my beautiful boy's face for a week before the cannula was put back on. The doctor ordered a pneumogram study for Sunday night, this records his saturation, heart rate and respiratory rate over a 12 hour time frame to see what happens when Jacob has spells. They want to know if his spells are central apnea, meaning his brain is still immature, eating relating or something else. He had one done about a month ago and it didn't provide the doctors with any insight so I really don't think it will do anything this time.

Jacob seemed to be making so much progress, they took him off oxygen, removed the feeding tube and took away some medication. Now he has the oxygen again and it sounds like he will likely go back on his meds. Mike and I are going to have to be trained to use an oxygen tank and will have to carry it around with us anywhere we take Jacob. Sounds like I won't be able to really take Jacob anywhere because I don't know how I am going to be able to carry Jacob, his apnea monitor, an oxygen tank and a diaper bag. Our walks around the neighborhood might not even happen, at least not without dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment