Saturday, May 29, 2010

Goodbye Dr. Maynard

We were able to say goodbye to yet another doctor this week. After my last post the Childrens Respiratory Clinic called with the results of Jacob's sleep study. His oxygen saturation was at or above 95 percent throughout the entire study which means he is able to get enough oxygen into his body without the help of his oxygen tank. So I was given the go ahead to take Jacob off oxygen permanently. Although the apnea monitor and oxygen tank were annoying they did provide me with a sense of security. I could sleep a little better at night knowing that if anything were to go wrong the alarms would go off. I'm ecstatic that Jacob no longer needs the monitor and oxygen but now my sense of security it gone. The first couple of nights without the oxygen I don't think I got more than 10 minutes of sleep at a time before I would wake up and check to see if Jacob was breathing. I spent most of the night laying in bed listening to him breath. It's getter better but I still wake up several times over the course of the night to check up on him.
So we had an appt with the respiratory doctor yesterday and he told us that Jacob was too well for him to keep seeing Jacob and discharged him!! So no more retinal specialist and no more respiratory doctor. That leaves us with his pediatrician, occupational therapist and optometrist. Oh and maybe a physical therapist because apparently Jacob has a crooked head from turning his head to the right too much.

Jacob and I were able to take our first walk outside without daddy this last week. Now that I don't have to lug things around with us Jacob and I have walked out and enjoyed our backyard and garden, surprisingly the flowers look just as good without my attention as when I do do yard work. We've walked around the neighborhood and to the park. It just feels so wonderful knowing you have the freedom to go out whenever and where ever you want. Next week Jacob and I are going to go on our first car ride together without dad. I am really nervous about this adventure because I've always sat in the back seat with him whenever we are in the car, now I'll be in the front and not able to watch him as closely. I bought a mirror for the back so I can look back at him, but Mike thinks I'll look back too often and not pay attention to the road, to be honest that could happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment